In Case of Accidental Poisoning, Act Fast

Print on Demand

To prevent accidental poisoning:


•  Always read warning labels on pesticides, household cleaners, and other products that could be poisonous. Follow instructions for use and storage.

•  Crush unused medications and mix them with water. Mix this with used coffee grounds or kitty litter. Put this in the garbage in a sealed plastic bag.

•  Have the phone number of your local poison control center and National Poison Control Center (1.800.222.1222) posted near the telephone. It’s also a good idea to post the numbers of the nearest hospital emergency room, ambulance service, and your physician.

If your child accidentally swallows or inhales poison, or spills poison on the skin or eyes, don’t panic. Instead:

•  Call the Poison Control Center at 1.800.222.1222 (or hospital or physician). Explain the problem and identify the cause.

•  Remain calm and quickly follow the instructions you’re given. Often, accidental poisonings can be handled at home.

This website is not meant to substitute for expert medical advice or treatment. Follow your doctor’s or health care provider’s advice if it differs from what is given in this guide.


The American Institute for Preventive Medicine (AIPM) is not responsible for the availability or content of external sites, nor does AIPM endorse them. Also, it is the responsibility of the user to examine the copyright and licensing restrictions of external pages and to secure all necessary permission.


The content on this website is proprietary. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, or distribute, in any manner, the material on the website without the written permission of AIPM.